From the Editor

Movie Review Archive

Thank you for checking out my movie review archive. I'm in the process of transitioning to something else, so I will no longer post new reviews to this blog. In the meantime, I will keep these reviews archived; these are from the fall of 2008 to April 2011. Please watch this blog for more info and keep in touch (you can still find me on Facebook and Twitter). Here's to more great movies!

Sincerely,
Wes Singleton

Member
North Texas Film Critics Association


Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience

This is not a review of the film, but more of a rant.

Those Jonas Brothers - Joe, Nick and Kevin to be exact - have amassed a huge following among the young female tween set. Having seen them in interviews they seem to be talented, nice guys and from what music I've heard (very, very brief clips of it), their music seems to be squeaky clean. So why am I mad? I'm mad more at Walt Disney for the way in which they're marketing their movie, "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience," by opening it up in a limited number of theatres (a little over a 1,000) and charging an exhorbitant amount (anywhere from $15-20, depending upon the time of day) for ticket prices.

You can't blame Disney for doing this, they used this same strategy a year ago with the Hannah Montana-Miley Cyrus 3D concert movie, by opening it up in a handful of theatres and over-charging on movie ticket prices. This strategy paid off too, it was the number one movie, debuting with $31 million and eventually grossing $65 million on a very, very cheap budget.

This appeals mostly to the many, many parents who were unable to get their children in to see the Hannah Montana concert and saving them hundreds or perhaps even thousands of dollars. Not bad for a 75-minute spliced concert footage in 3D. It's the same for the Jonas Brothers, who sold out concerts across the country last year. Parents can breathe a sigh of relief they can pay $20 bucks and see an edited version in 3D.

But Disney hasn't realized that we're still in the midst of a recession, and $20 for a movie - a movie - is still much especially if you have more than one kid to pay for - then buy concessions on top of that. I've heard that Disney is notoriously cheap when producing and marketing their movies, then do all they can to make a profit. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Disney fan - particularly of the Pixar films (which aren't made by Disney but who handles the distribution) - but $20 for movie tickets is simply ridiculous. Many will find that in this economy, that $20 is still too much.

For this reason, unless I can score some free tickets like I did for the Hannah Montana concert schmaltz fest (and there's a full length Hannah Montana film to be released later this spring) last year, I'll be skipping the whole Jonas Brothers 3D movie thing. For a non-fan of the boy band, I can't say I'll be upset, but there will be a lot of parents and children upset when they're unable to pay for the tickets. It will also be the first time in several years that I'll likely not see the number one film in the country. I can watch the clips and be satisfied, but that won't work for the many who can't afford to go see the movie.

I guess I can rant and rave all I want. Disney will still reap millions upon millions more dollars from the latest 3D concert venture, but they won't get my $20.